« Home | Pants for Real People » | The Client » | The Broker » | The Sidetracked Sisters Happiness File » | The Phony Gourmet » | Get Your Act Together » | The Sidetracked Sisters Catch Up on the Kitchen » | Sidetracked Home Executives » | Mrs. Appleyard and I » | Vionnet » 

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 

'Bye, the Beloved Books

Authors: Many and varied


Through the years and many moves I have always kept my books. Most of the paperbacks are just worn out. I've winnowed them out a number of times and already said goodbye to many John Grisham, Agatha Christie, and others' books, but these are the last ones to go. I took their pictures because, really, it was looking at them that gave me the pleasure of the memories, since most of them could no longer stand up to a read--they'd just fall apart. So goodbye, my beloved books!


Arrivederci, Au Revior and Auf Wiedersehn. I love languages and have had these books for over 25 years. I'm quite rusty now, but when the time comes to re-aquaint myself with these languages I'll probably use an mp3 player! I did keep my beautiful hardback French-English and German-English dictionaries.
Some favorites that were read to pieces. Not pictured is Cheaper by the Dozen (prequel to Belles on their Toes)
Irving Stone--I love his books; they are always about the woman beside the man. I bought one of those Jane Austen books when I was in England 'way back when I was a teenager. Seeing it brings back some nice memories.
Catherine Marshall....sigh. I have a hardback of A Man Called Peter, so I did release that paperback, and Christy was completely worn out, but I couldn't bring myself to give up the others; I know I will read them again.
I studied the 2 Shakespeare plays in a summer class in Scotland when I was 16. The James Herriott books have given me hours of reading pleasure--someday I hope to visit Yorkshire, England, where the stories take place.